Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Write Stuff Wednesday

Okay, if you don't already follow One Minute Writer, you should. If you are a writer, you should tune in more than occasionally. This is one inspiring blog. The OMW's daily prompt is like the spoonful of sugar - it can really get those creative juices flowing.

Writers at any level often need a boost to get into the business of the day. For me, just that one minute free-flow exercise can get my head and hands ready to dive into my current work-in-progress. That's a very useful tool to keep in my writer's tool box. (and it beats banging my head against the keyboard).

My dad, whom I happen to consider a wise person, (now that I'm no longer a kid) always said writers write. And he's write, er, right. If you aspire to anything in the written realm, it's going to take a daily writing effort to get there. Through my professional life I've met writers who credit success to their vow to write at least 100 words a day and others who trace their NYTimes bestseller stardom back to the simple joy of writing daily.

Yup, writers write, no matter the genre or specific career, writers work with words to create a lasting impression. That takes commitment, but the result is worth the discipline, because the general rule is the more you write, the better you get. Wanna be great? Go write!

Happy Writing,
Regan

Pixies now available at Quake!
Regan's zoo news at the website

2 comments:

  1. I have been told, and sometimes find it true, that the things writers hate most to do is actually sit down and write. I think it's a commitment issue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather be writing than marketing! LOL! Seriously, your dad was a wise man. I take it he was a writer, too. So was mine.

    Thanks for the reminder to just write! Right?

    http://www.cynthiasattic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete