Monday, April 27, 2009

Driving Excitement...or not?


It's 'Driving' week over at Teen-Seen! I remember learning to drive in the ridiculous engineering marvel known as a AMC Pacer - my friends and I called it Freddy the Fishbowl. Our Pacer was a tan color and by the way this picture from the Wikipedia page is the coolest Pacer I've ever seen.

I'm watching a hockey game while I write this and as the players slam into each other looking for the advantage, I can't help thinking about how afraid I was of hitting things with Freddy when I was learning all those critical spacial concepts necessary for driving. You'd think it would've been easy in a car with windows like Freddy, but when, as a teenager, you've got enough to worry about with keeping your own body in the right space, adding a car seems an unkind challenge.

Except it's so fun! And totally liberating to actually DRIVE - even if it's in a fishbowl.

What did you have to drive when you were learning?

Regan
Follow me on twitter!
Buy my books at eReader.com and Echelon Press

3 comments:

  1. Hard to remember, but I believe it was my mother's white Dodge Dart.

    Helen
    http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It had four wheels, no top and a crank. LOL. Kidding. I learned in my dad's F-85 Olds. Then "graduated" to my brother's 1955 pink and Gray Studebaker, nicknamed the Gray Ghost.

    I'd pick up 4 friends for school, we go to the gas station, each pitch in a nickel and get a gallon of gas. Probably gives you some idea of how old I am! *sigh* Amazing, but that gallon would usually last all week because the high school was on a steep hill and we'd coast all the way to town!

    Mary
    http://www.cynthiasattic.blogspot.com
    http://www.marycunninghambooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned on some nondescript Driver's Ed sedan, back when Driver's Ed was offered in school. When I got my license, I had to drive the family car: a '68 Buick Wildcat. It was roughly the size of the Titanic.

    For my 17th birthday, my folks got "me" a '64 Buick Special. I use the term "me" loosely - it was still Dad's car, but since he worked graveyard, he used it all night and I could drive it all day. It was baby blue and smaller than the Wildcat, but the only thing that made it cool was it was a convertible.

    My 16-year old son doesn't want to learn to drive - we are forcing him to learn so he can drive himself to soccer practice. What kind of alternate universe have I wandered into?

    Coincidentally, that's this week's topic in my column - http://www.gaylecarline.com/thiswk_col.html.

    Gayle
    http://gaylecarline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete